Re: [IPk] Funding

I _think_ what they're saying is that control improves going into middle
age, so your results showing that your control is improving don't count.

If that _is_ there argument, why not ask if they'd be prepared to
believe your results if you came off the pump for a couple of weeks?

You might also find the evidence you need on the MICE site.  Certainly
enough to show that it is 'a proven form'.

On the 'power' front, maybe they meant that they had the power to
persuade others to fund, but then were saying that they hadn't any money

I'd keep trying.  Can you get your MP involved?  Local papers?

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+, after trying for 4+ years)

In message <email @ redacted>,
email @ redacted writes
>Once again, I have had my application for pump funding turned down by the
>Hospital and Primary Care Trusts.  The reasons given are somewhat bizzare, in my
>opinion, that is. "Insulin Pump Therapy is not a proven form of diabetes
>therapy".  "Indeed it is common for one with long term Insulin Dependant
>Diabetes to have improved control and better health when approaching middle age"
>However, I live in hope.  According to the diabetes nurse she is trying
>something else.  She can't tell me what it is because she doesn't want to get my
>hopes up!!  Well we''ll have to see on that one.  After been on the pump for a
>short while, funding became an issue.  I was told by one of the diabetes nurses
>that the Diabetes centre has considerable power and should be able to get
>funding.  Then only a short time later I was told by the same person "Oh no we
>can't do anything because everyone will want one"
>Is this just the Health Authority in my area that use the reasons of middle age
>as grounds for declining or is this common ground.
>Rant over... :)

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)