Re: [IPk] Extended Bolus

Hi Julian (I think--jms126 is one of the Julians, right?),

You're not going to like this, but (you guessed it) 'it depends'. What kind
of Chinese food are you eating? Fried rice with veggies and meat? Steamed
rice with sweet-and-sour chicken or pork? The fat and carb content in
Chinese can be hard to guess, but I find that it's almost always greater
than I expected (i.e., if you've already planned 17 units, you might hit
19). A lot of Chinese food has amounts of cornstarch like you wouldn't
believe...always good for a challenge.

My only piece of advice might be to try a longer term for the extended
bolus. When I eat something that takes a while, my bg can be fine when I
test 3 hours after the meal, but then at 5 hours post-prandial I'm high.
[Confession: my first pump was a 506 and I am such a creature of habit that
I have not really taken advantage of the dual and square-wave boluses of my
current 507C.]

Try and err,
good luck,

IDDM 9+ years (this is silly, but I just realised that having been diagnosed
in March of '93, I have had diabetes not '8+' but '9+' years! Time warp,
eh?); MiniMed pumper 6+ years (I'm sure)