[IPk] new pump users

Hi Mandy and Barbara

It's good hearing these messages from the parents of new child pump users.
It reminds me of first attempts at breast feeding, baby sleeping through the
night etc - you think you've get it sussed and suddenly something happens to
rock the boat and your confidence is shattered instantly.
Charlie is now in week 3 and still no readings above 20 - hooray - but
several 2s requiring changes in basal rates. But I suppose there will be
much tweaking and learning to go through. But the main thing is the huge
rise in self esteem - fantastic. The pump nurse still phones each day and
sometimes later if things are not going to plan. (They even asked the school
nurse to do a 3 am blood test - which she was happy to do - what a saint.)
I think our carb counting needs a lot of practice however. This weekend,
because of the Lord Mayors Show and Remembrance Sunday, Charlie couldn't
come home for his few free hours on Saturday and Sunday so we traipsed the
streets of London and ate out. It was very hard predicting carb rates for
spring rolls, crispy duck in pancakes, Indonesian 'style' noodles etc (We
still bolus after eating.) Maybe we should have played safe and stuck to
pizza but Charlie now feels a sense of freedom about choices and is wanting
to explore. I feel we can't refuse this.
No-one has yet told me who or hat NICE are! I don't understand the
correspondence that refers to it..

Best wishes

Barbara Dalton