RE: [IPk] survey: carb-related questions

What is the conversion for weight of bread to CHO?  I used to
know but have forgotten.  Disaster last night - changed
infusion at 6 pm, ate at 8:30 pm (2 thick cheese sandwiches
with brown walnut bread).  Went to bed at 10:30 pm with a BGM
of 9.5 (took a correction dose) and woke this morning 19.6!!
I have corrected and the problem may be the infusion (I will
check to confirm blood glucose levels falling in a momnet)
but more likely is that it was the bread.  i think I have an
interesting response to Humalog in that if I eat sugar or
white bread I see virtually no rise in blood sugars (ie my
curve for humalog works well for high glycemic index foods)
but with wholemeal bread or high fat meals (or last night a
killer combination of both) the test before bed can be
mis-leading.  Hmm I could set a square wave bolus but that is
a worry when I am going to be sleeping or I cold set the
alarm to wake up a few hours later and test again (not ideal
as I have been a bit of an insomniac recently and waking
myself up on purpose seems harsh).

PS BGM now 10.6 after 90 mins - not an infusion problem!!
Beverley Smith
Consultant Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader

Phone: 0118  929 2422