Re: [IPk] survey: carb-related questions

>> CARBOHYDRATE
>
> Sinead took exception to the statement that
>
> 20g of carbohydrate from carrot and 20g of carbohydrate from chocolate
will
> have the same overall impact on your blood sugar
>
> because 20g of CHO fr. carrots is unrealistic and that evidence-based
> research shows that they do not have the same impact
>
> 4) Do you think thie statement is inaccurate?

I think they won't have the same impact, for 2 reasons. First, the CHO in
carrot is mostly starch, which is a more complex CHO and needs significant
digestion before it can be absorbed into the blood stream. The CHO in
chocolate is glucose and/or sucrose, (which is just 2 sugar molecules, not
many as in starch). Second, the CHO gets into your system faster if it is on
its own, whereas in the carrot it is accompanied by fibre, which delays
absorption and may limit it altogether, hence the impact on bg is slower and
less overall.

> 5) If the statements is inaccurate, do you agree with the reasons?
>
> 6) Do you think this statement is more accurate:
>
> For the purposes of determining insulin doses, 20g of carbohydrate from
> carrots and 20g of carbohydrate from chocolate has the same impact on your
> blood sugar

Not quite

> 7) Have you ever confused portion size/weight with amount of carbohydrate
> (you thought that you'd get 20g of carb from 20g of carrots)?

No

> 8) Is the concept of grams of carbohydrate difficult for people new to
> carbohydrate counting?
>
> 10) Does your insulin-carb ratio match your weight according to the table
at
> www.geocities.com/sastact/insulin_doses.htm ?
>
> 11) Does your insulin-carb ratio match your daily insulin intake according
> to the table at www.geocities.com/sastacht/insulin_doses.htm ?

The figures for me at 86 kg are 60-65 units/day, and around 1.3u fall per
unit of insulin.