Re: [IPk] NICE Appraisal

Dear Elizabeth,

What a good point!

Wouldn't it be fun to start an Alternative Diabetes Centre, which simply
provided resources and the skills people need to use them?

Best wishes,

(now going to look at her books on the Netherlands Antilles, and forget
about the grey weather outside)

In message <email @ redacted>, Elizabeth OShea
<email @ redacted> writes
>My partner recently chastised me (and you as well, John Davis, although you
>weren't there - not fair, really!) for saying 'the pump won't suit some
>people'. She rightly pointed out that it's not the _person_ but the
>_behaviour_ that's important - and as with driving, people can be educated.
>It's very much about using a social model of diabetes rather than a medical
>model, and going by the statement above, NICE hasn't adopted this approach.
>A social model looks at modifying behaviours and empowering the individual,
>while a medical model gives rigid guidelines that everyone must meet.

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)