[IPk] Bad Day Today

Hello everyone

I promised you all that I would be honest about the pump trial.  Well, I was
on such a high yesterday that I thought nothing could possibly go wrong.  I
was wrong!

It all started at tea time last night when I over-treated her meal.  I
counted the carbohydrate and then gave her 4 units.  The insulin is supposed
to have done its job and gone around 3/4 hour so I thought I was safe when
she went to bed.  She dropped to 1.8.

I wasn't as bothered about that than I was about what happened today.  OK, it
was scarey but I dealt with it and she actually remembers it which meant she
was aware a bit.  The good thing about being on the pump is that she didn't
need to eat as well to sustain her blood sugar level; she just needed the
sugary drink.  Well, she rebounded and this morning she was 16.8.  I wasn't
so bothered because I could do a correction bolus and a bolus for her
breakfast, but I was worried because she wanted to go back to school today
and wouldn't hear of having another day off, so I let her go.  Before she
went to school she was 20.9 but I didn't do a correction because I was
leaving her at school and wouldn't be able to monitor what was happening
close enough.

I went into school at 12 noon while she was eating her sandwiches and tested
her blood.  It was 24.9.  I gave her a correction bolus of 3.0 and then half
an hour later, I gave her a meal bolus of 2.0.  At 1 o'clock, I tested her
blood again and it was 28.9 so I brought her home.  The pump nurse (who rings
all day regularly for the results) recommended that I increase the basal rate
from 0.3 to 0.5 for 4 hours and also correct with another bolus.  This worked
out well and she has gone to bed at 9 o'clock with a reading of 9.9.

We also changed the site tonight and tried the sof-set.  She became very
distressed with it because she tried 4 or 5 times to get the needle into her
skin manually and it would pierce but wouldn't go right in so Pete tried it
on him and found the same problem.  We went back to the silhouette because we
have had no problems with that one so it wasn't worth changing anything for

I am shattered.  All I have done today is test blood and make notes in the
diary, hang around school and watch Countdown!

I'm not giving up yet though.

Babs x