Re: [IPk] NICE Appraisal

In message <email @ redacted>, Melissa Ford
<email @ redacted> writes
>Hey everyone,
>
>Filling in the NICE Appraisal comments boxes tonight was a great stress
>reliever. I really let them have it! Pat R., you have got to check out the
>Appraisal if you haven't already. I nearly lost it when I read 4.3.3. What a
>load of uh...I need not elaborate.

Well, I generally agreed with what was said, although the emphasis is a
little odd.  For example, on 4.3.3.:
4.3.3  The Committee heard evidence about the stringency of requirements
necessary for people to use an insulin pump successfully, including
scrupulous cleanliness, blood testing four times a day, estimating
carbohydrate and calorie consumption throughout every day, moving the
cannula site every 2 to 3 days, and programming the pump. The Committee
believed that CSII therapy could be used only by those who were able to
make a considerable commitment to the technology and who had the ability
and determination to keep their blood sugar levels controlled.

One could say
4.3.3  The Committee heard evidence about the stringency of requirements
necessary for people to use an automotive vehicle successfully,
including scrupulous cleanliness of the windscreen, rear view mirror
checking before each manoeuvre, estimating fuel consumption throughout
every journey, checking lights and wheel condition every 2 to 3 days,
and consulting books of maps. The Committee believed that driving could
be used only by those who were able to make a considerable commitment to
the technology and who had the ability and determination to keep their
speed levels controlled.

In other words, yes, it's that hard, and writing it down in a certain
way, you would think that no one could do it.  But most people can
manage to do it without killing anyone (or landing anyone in hospital),
and a few people even manage to do it so perfectly they never break the
law!

Best wishes,

Pat
(dm 30+, 508 1+, wrote off her car in an accident last year, and
seriously considering designing something equivalent to the 'European
Computer Driving Licence' - a 'European Diabetes Driving Licence' - a
skills based assessment and associated training programme)

--
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)