[IPk] A weight has been lifted!

Hello everyone

I know most of you know that Danielle has had insulin connected to her pump
today at hospital and you are probably waiting to hear how things have gone.
Well, I can't find words to describe how we feel.  The only way I can
describe it is that when I got rushed into hospital in agony earlier this
year and was eventually given morphine, the rush and relief of pain was
fantastic and I could close my eyes and rest for a moment.  Those of you with
children on pumps will know what I mean.  Honestly, it's true!

We were at the hospital for 3 1/2 hours and all the DSNs were present, the
consultant and two of his students.  The doctor asked me to sit at his desk
and I showed everyone how to fill the reservoir and attach everything to
Danielle who was standing posing next to the desk!  I wasn't expecting so
many people who wanted to see the pump and learn about it. (Danielle is the
first in the area).  I can tell you that my hands were shaking just a bit).

I promised Danielle a present so we went toy shopping and home.  I got home
later than I wanted, rushed into the kitchen, said "Danielle, will you have a
sausage sandwich and yoghurt or penguin biscuit?".  The pump nurse was due to
ring me to get the blood sugar results and tell me what to bolus for her tea,
so I was in a sort of panic.  I quickly added up the carbohydrate and
bolused.  I asked Danielle "How does it feel to be able to sit down and eat
without having your injection first?" and she laughed "Great Mum.  I don't
feel diabetic any more."

What more can I say?

Lots of love
Barbara (D for 29 yrs, non-pumper)
Mum to Danielle (D since Aug 2001, new pumper)
loads more in family.....