From: Pat Reynolds
Sent: 04 November 2002 21:48
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [IPk] Bad infusion sites

Please make a donation during our FALL Pledge Drive.
Help out by showing your support for Insulin Pumpers

I find 'Pumping Insulin' is right in that most unexpected highs are due
a) infections - my body gets a cold a day or so before my nose does!
b) forgetting to bolus (quite rare, but happens)
c) mussels (less now, I've got them a bit better sussed).
d) set failure

Trying to use quicksets caused failure every time.

What I do notice is that I find that bad sets come in clumps.  So in 18
months of pumping, I've had I think five or six failures, one on its
own, and the others in clumps.

It makes me suspect that there's something wrong with batches of sets.
Or maybe not wrong, but that some need more vigorous lubricating than I
give, or something.

Best wishes,

(dm 30+, 508 1+)

In message <email @ redacted>, Lesley
Jordan <email @ redacted> writes
>Hi everyone
>Despite "Pumping Insulin"'s assertions that bad infusion sites are rarely
>cause of unexpected highs, I seem to have had three of them within the last
>couple of weeks.
>They all started misbehaving after about 24 hours; pump, infusion set and
>look fine, correction doses fail to work.  When I change the infusion site
>everything is hunky dory.  When I take out the failed cannula, everything
>looks normal, ie no bends, kinks etc.  All three were inserted in different
>places, where nearby sites had been fine on previous occasions.  All three
>were Tenders.
>Has this happened to anyone else, or does anyone have any clues?
>highs really bother me now!
>[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef]

Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)
help SUPPORT Insulin Pumpers http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/donate.shtmlGet