Re: [IPk] diabetes resources in the UK

Nanette wrote:
>My mother, who is 82 and lives in London, has recently been diagnosed
>with type 2 diabetes
>her gp (who is a very caring
>person, and very good about most things) told her to lose weight and
>eat fewer sweet things and come back to have her blood sugar checked at
>the surgery in 2 weeks - she did this, and not suprisingly it was not
>much better

How on earth did they expect her to lose a significant amount of weight in a
fortnight?! That's just silly: the sort of weight loss that will positively
impact BGs takes months.

>but she doesn't really
>know what, aside from cakes and biscuits and sweets and potatoes,
>contains significant amounts of carbohydrate and what doesnt. She
>doesn't know how large standard portions of carbohydrate foods are,
>though she has a sneaking suspicion that her diet consists mostly of
>carbohydrates - as an old person who lives alone and doesnt like to
>cook, she tends to eat bread with assorted things accompanying it. I
>tried to suggest that she work towards reversing the proportions -
>instead of bread with a little accompaniment, change to a little bread
>accompanying a larger amount of salad, tuna, sardines, cottage cheese

I think this advice is excellent advice, Nanette. She should also ensure
that the bread she eats is high in fibre, so she should buy wholegrain
breads - something with oats is ideal, because oats have great health
benefits in terms of cholesterol as well.

All breads, grains, beans, pulses, vegetables, fruits, sweets contain
carbohydrate. Would she eat salads with lots of veggies and protein (meat,
cheese, egg)? Something like that could be a good option because it would
have much less carb and still be filling.

The issue is that someone who is 82 is not likely to be doing a  lot of
exercise (I could be wrong!), so they don't need as many calories, most of
which come from starchy carbohydrate. The diet they teach us is high in
starchy carbohydrate, so it's high in calories. If you take the
recommendation to eat 4-5 servings of fruit & veg and 6-11 servings of grain
and bread products and swap it around: 4-5 servings of grain & bread and
6-11 of fruit and veg, you'll get a more suitable diet for someone who isn't
playing sport or gardening every day. That's my opinion based on what I've
read about low carb diets, the glycaemic index, and my own experience.

You might want to show her the glycaemic index so that she can pick foods
that raise BG more slowly . visit www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm for more info.

>I also suggested
>she discuss with her gp having a glucometer so that she would have the
>satisfaction of seeing her blood sugar go down when she kept to lower
>carb foods and took more exercise.

it's malpractice that she hasn't been given a meter and taught how to use
it. if she tests two hours after every meal she'll also be able to make note
of which foods send her BG very high and which don't, and adjust her diet
based on this information. She should _insist_, right now, that she be given
a BG meter and shown how to use it. it's insane that she hasn't been.

I hope that helps somewhat.

Grain is the enemy of the sedentary classes.