Re: [IPk] progress - I think!

On Friday 01 November 2002 19:29, you wrote:
> At 19:18 01/11/2002 +0000, Rhoda wrote:
> >While changing the set this morning, I couldn't envisage how you manage
> >this Di with so little sight.  E.g. how do you know the primed set is
> >successful?  I couldn't feel the drop of insulin on my finger.
> I'm registered blind too, so I'll weigh in here and tell you how I manage.
> First off, if I'm priming a new tube ( I use 80 mm ones ) I would expect to
> use about 20u. I hold my fingers under the end of the tube until I feel a
> drop - mind you I can just about see the droplets anyway. But when you get
> right down to it, I am happy to waste a few units of insulin in order to
> make sure I have a properly primed infusion set!
> If I'm doing a set or cannula change I hold the tube up in front of a
> really strong light to check it for air bubbles. Sunlight is best but we
> seem to be getting a bit short of that recently :)

Hi Karen
Yes, that's pretty much what I do. I can feel the drop on the end of my
finger when priming - though it may be I waste a bit of insulin in the
process. I can't see air bubbles in the tubing but I can see big bubbles in
the reservoir if I hold it up to a good light. But I try and make sure I
don't get bubbles when I'm filling the cartridge (my trick is to fill the
reservoir with about 20 units, push all the insulin out again, and repeat the
process several times. I can usually feel and hear when there are no air
bubbles left. Then I fill it properly and it's usually OK.)