[IPk] diabetes resources in the UK

 While this is not at all a pump issue, maybe some of you have some
My mother, who is 82 and lives in London, has recently been diagnosed
with type 2 diabetes - I could go into a tirade about the slow and
stupid process of diagnosis, and the euphemisms - 'your blood sugar
seems to be a little high today'!!!!! - but will save my energy - I'm
sure it doesn't really suprise anyone. It also doesn't really suprsie
my mother that she has type 2 diabetes, since both her parents
developed it in their last years, and her only surviving sibling has
had it for some years already, and she has been overweight for years.

What bothers her, and me even more so, is that she is being given no
real tools to deal with the problem - her gp (who is a very caring
person, and very good about most things) told her to lose weight and
eat fewer sweet things and come back to have her blood sugar checked at
the surgery in 2 weeks - she did this, and not suprisingly it was not
much better (if my mother could easily lose weight, she would have done
so years ago). The nurse in the surgery went over with her what she
normally eats, and said it sounded ok! - I assume there must have been
a lot of wishful thinking and more euphemisms going on there.

My mother is very intelligent, has been doing open university courses
till recently, still studies and reads widely, but she doesn't really
know what, aside from cakes and biscuits and sweets and potatoes,
contains significant amounts of carbohydrate and what doesnt. She
doesn't know how large standard portions of carbohydrate foods are,
though she has a sneaking suspicion that her diet consists mostly of
carbohydrates - as an old person who lives alone and doesnt like to
cook, she tends to eat bread with assorted things accompanying it. I
tried to suggest that she work towards reversing the proportions -
instead of bread with a little accompaniment, change to a little bread
accompanying a larger amount of salad, tuna, sardines, cottage cheese
etc. Obviously with some basic information in front of her, she could
make some more rational decisions about what to eat. I also suggested
she discuss with her gp having a glucometer so that she would have the
satisfaction of seeing her blood sugar go down when she kept to lower
carb foods and took more exercise.

I have been hunting on the internet, but have failed to come up with
any lists of this sort of sensible information that she could use to
guide her. The lists from the end of the pumping insulin book are very
American, and I would really like to find her something that she could
identify with better. Does anyone have any suggestions?
It is hard helping elderly parents from a distance, but if I found a
suitable source of information on the internet, I could easily download
it and send it to her, or order her some leaflets that could be sent
directly to her.

Thanks v much in advance for any info

Do You Yahoo!?