Re: [IPk] Re: Steve's daughter's temperature changes

As with anything, an argument can be constructed of the effects of diabetes
on thermoregulation.

Quick overview on thermoregulation: When the core temperature begins to
rise, the body takes measure to ensure the CNS is not damaged. Arterio
venous shunts in the periphery are closed down, making sure the hot blood
from the core has to travel through the extensive network of capilliaries.
This has been proved and is also obvious from the fact that the skins blood
supply far outweighs its metabolic requirements.

Considering a diabetic, the peripheral circulation is not as effective as a
non-diabetic person. This means that heat loss via the skin is not going to
be as effective as in a non diabetic.
Therefore, the body must take alternative measures, such as producing more
sweat in order to remove excess heat by evaporative cooling. As anyone
knows, sweat glands are distributed across the body, but are concentrated in
certain areas such as under the arms etc. These concentrated areas will then
seem to sweat profusely.

When considering the opposite effect, such as skiing, the peripheral
circulation is not as effective as in a non-diabetic. Therefore, anny
attempts at warming the peripheral tissues by the body are not as effective
as they should be, resulting in cold fingers and toes and an unhappy Kathryn
when skiing.
 My partner sometimes wakes up in the night to me covered in
sweat(charming), and when I go to the gym i sweat profusley ( even more than
the men there).
Sometimes I'll just be watching TV and my partner feels my hands and thninks
I'm cold, but I'ts just my hands that are cold the rest of my body feels
I'm sure this is the diabetes and the same thing as what Steve's daughter
would be experiencing.