Re: [IPk] progress - I think!

At 19:18 01/11/2002 +0000, Rhoda wrote:

>While changing the set this morning, I couldn't envisage how you manage
>this Di with so little sight.  E.g. how do you know the primed set is
>successful?  I couldn't feel the drop of insulin on my finger.

I'm registered blind too, so I'll weigh in here and tell you how I manage.

First off, if I'm priming a new tube ( I use 80 mm ones ) I would expect to
use about 20u. I hold my fingers under the end of the tube until I feel a
drop - mind you I can just about see the droplets anyway. But when you get
right down to it, I am happy to waste a few units of insulin in order to
make sure I have a properly primed infusion set!

If I'm doing a set or cannula change I hold the tube up in front of a
really strong light to check it for air bubbles. Sunlight is best but we
seem to be getting a bit short of that recently :)