Re: [IPk] Glargine / glucose sensing as a tool

I happen to be using a constant basal rate at the moment, and it's giving
me pretty good results that I am happy with. I've been watching this new
glargine with great interest... if it will give me a reliable constant
basal rate, I would happily put my pump away. And if I needed a different
day and night rate, I'm sure a twice daily glargine injection could achieve

Lets face it: wearing a pump is a fiddle and an annoyance. I only do it
because it gives me great bg results, no nighttime hypos and frees me from
forced eating - which on balance is a pretty good deal.

But two things worry me about glargine:

How reliable is it from day to day? If you look at the published medical
literature on long acting insulins, there is a remarkable variability from
day to day as to how much of what you inject actually dissolves and gets
into your blood. That limits how tightly you can control your bg.

And is it really flat in its release? If you inject it once a day, how on
earth does it know when to stop? Or is there a vague period when
yesterday's injection hands over to today's injection - and your basal rate
doubles or halves for an hour? Basically I'm not convinced by those lovely
smooth graphs...

mailto:email @ redacted