[IPk] Re: unexpected bg results (formerly - Severe hypo -my fault)

Di wrote:
<My Bg had been normal all day. I went to my dance class. BG of about 6.
After an hour my Bg had shot up to 18! Very unusual, as it's normally more
like 5 after an hour's class, but I had done less dancing than I normally do.
I took 4 units of Humalog.  Half an hour later I started to feel shaky.
Tested again, BG 3.5. . . . . .
I'm guessing that for some reason the high was caused by the insulin not
absorbed properly, and then when I injected the next 4 units the old insulin
was absorbed as well as the new, and it all worked at once.>

Perhaps you may be right about the insulin not being absorbed properly, but
this does seem strange since there was no problem earlier with absorption and
then again later when you think it may have corrected itself. There is
another possibility. Glucose meters are not always accurate. For example, I
recently had a test result of 2.8 which was totally unexpected. Upon
retesting, I got a result of 4.3. This may not seem like much of a difference
but in fact it is a 35% difference. A 35% difference from your bg result of
18 would actually be 12. And as a result, you may have overcompensated with
your extra insulin that you took rather than the insulin suddenly being
reabsorbed as normal.

This is just a thought, but I think it is always a good idea to retest
whenever you get unexpected results.