Re: [IPk] Help needed for dosing for protien

Hi Jackie
Some people cover protein religiously, some people don't cover it at all,
some (like me) only cover it if they have a LOT. I would probably start off
by not covering it and see how you go, or at least being very cautious with
covering it.
Does Sasha like things like potato salad? That would be GF and very easy to
make up and pack in a pot. With Sasha you'd probably want to make up a few
little things to go in her lunch box, rather than just one big salad, which
is what I generally have.
What I do is mix up stuff like potatoes or rice, any bits of salad or left
over cooked vegetables, anything I have hanging around like olives, and some
protein such as cold meat, tuna, egg or tofu. I then add something like a
spoonful of pesto sauce  or plain yoghurt with lemon as a dressing, mix it
all together. I usually make it up the night before and keep it in the
fridge. I could keep it in the fridge at work but I can't usually be bothered
 - it's fine just sitting in my office on the windowsill till lunchtime. I
thought it was a real pain at first because sandwiches seem so much easier,
but now I don't mind at all, and I have the advantage of getting something
different every day - half the time I never know what it's going to taste
like so I get a surprise at lunchtime!!!
As for insulin, I cover the carbs and then add about 0.5 units for the salad.
(I normally take 1 unit per 15g carb). That works for me very well. of course
you could measure the amount of rice or potatoes in the salad when you make
Hope that helps