[IPk] Help needed for dosing for protien

In message <019e01c16bb1$3a7df040$email @ redacted>, Jackie Jacombs
<email @ redacted> writes
>How do you dose for protein?  Diane if
>you are there?   For instance if you had cold chicken and salad how would
>you work out what insulin to use.  Do you cover for protein or only carbs??
>Sasha is not on a pump.

Difficult ... I find that protein is slow acting, so I'd inject
something like mixtard to cover it, rather than actrapid. I am still
very much at the 'guess/experiment' stage of working out what the
cho/protein/calorie balance does. I _think_ that in my body, protein
comes in around four-eight hours, at about 25% of the strength of CH0.

The only way to find out is to experiment.  Having found out what
happens when no lunch is eaten, find out what happens when a lunch with
a certain proportion of CHO/calories is eaten.

I also find that 'bad', 'empty' or 'quick'  CHO (juice, sweets, honey)
are no more 'quick' than 'good', 'nutritional' or 'slow' CHO (rice,
potatoes, bread) when eaten at around the 50% - 60% of calories level.
If it's 80% of calories, then sure, it's visible.  If Sasha is like me,
then a chicken salad and orange juice or non-diet drink could be the
answer.  But each of us is different, and only experimentation will

Best wishes,

dm 30+, 508 6 months plus, always thought chocolate was a great food ...
cheap stuff has the profile of actrapid, expensive stuff has the profile
of humalog
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)