Re: [IPk] Gluten free foods

Hi Di

I am already beginning to think about swapping bread for other things.  The
loaf I cooked last night was not that successful.  Sasha ate some last night
and said it was OK but wouldn't eat it this morning.  She had the usual
cereal and had to have a banana as well to make up enough carbs as she had
already had her injection. I have to be very careful that I dont give her
bananas too often as she has only just begun eating them again after
refusing to eat them for a year.  She used to always have them for a morning
snack and then one day wouldn't eat them as she was just sick of the same
thing day after day.  I have started giving more potato dishes too.  She has
never liked rice but I am working on it.  I have cooked rice for us all but
a few potatoes as well so that she can have some of both.  She tried a few
spoonfuls last time so at least that's a start.   Terry is very depressed at
the though of yet another dietary  restriction  to cope with.  I know it's
not him that has to eat GFstuff, its the hassle and stress that goes with
not being able to just take for granted meals and things.  We had got things
pretty much sorted out and there wasn't much Sasha didn't get to eat, we
just gave her insulin to cover extra things rather than her not eat it.  Now
I feel we are starting over again.  It the constant planning ahead that is
stressful.  With four kids in the house its hard work.  Nicki is with us
commuting from Slough to Chelt.  She often cooks her own stuff as does Danni
at times but that doesn't seem to lessen the work load as they never wash up
and clear up properly and it still seems to be as much work as if I cooked
the stuff.  People who have kids will know what I mean!

The thing is, as well, is that for Sasha current injection regime she needs
quite a high carb amount in her diet you know with having to have snacks.
Plus she is skinny and needs to gain a little weight.  So she needs to eat
quite a lot of carbs/calories. I am still exploring options.  She will
probably have to eat more yoghurt type things for supper instead of toast or
crumpets or muffins.

I expect we will adapt but it seems so hard some times.  Life seems to
revolve around finding suitable things to eat  at the moment.  I have no
appetite at all.

Juvella (makes GF stuff) are sending me a recipe book and tips for
children's lunch boxes.  Also the dietician said that she would write to a
couple of companies and get them to send a few free samples.

I am sure it will be OK a few months down the line.  I just had to have a
moan to people who understand.