Re: [IPk] Gluten free foods

hi Jackie

> She was saying the Sasha would need only one loaf a week but we need more
> than that as she has packed lunch everyday and has bread for breakfast with
> her cereal and sometimes some with the evening meal.

I guess you might think about swapping the bread for something else, if it's
going to be difficult to get enough on prescription. Obviously bread is
easiest for lunch, but e.g. at breakfast maybe you could think of an
alternative? I've found that since giving up wheat, I've become a lot more
inventive about my meals. I used to eat loads of bread - when I'm busy it
would often  be cereal and toast at breakfast, sandwiches and fruit at lunch
and soup and toast in the evening. Not exactly encompassing a wide range of
foods! Now I tend to have exciting salads for lunch, with e.g. couscous or
potato. At breakfast I might have banana and yoghurt instead of toast. In the
evening I might have soup and salad instead of soup and toast. All just as
quick to make, and definitely more healthy.
I'm getting off the point here, but what I meant was that often when you give
up traditional staple foods such as bread, your diet can actually improve and
you become more inventive - though it can mean a bit more effort.  Obviously
with coeliac there's so many things you can't eat that it makes it hard, but
in general, I guess it will be a big switch away from processed and
ready-made foods, because so many of them contain gluten.
Di