Re: [IPk] Airport Security and driving

Hear hear, Beverley

> Travel by air:  I fly 12 - 15 times a year and have never
> once declared syringes, novopen (when I had them) or pump.

I've never declared it either. I've been through scanners around 6 times,
with no alarms.

Current ADA advice suggests letters are worth having, but can be forged too.
They say carry only a lancet with the same name as your meter, with original
names stamped on them by the maker. It seems a litte OTT. If anyone was
attacked with a lancet, they wouldn't even say 'ouch'!

I don't believe the XRay machine interferes with insulin, they use them on
people too occasionally!!

> Please don't be twitchy about your holiday.  Carry a ltter
> from your consultant (with phone number) just in case but I
> would be surprised (if the pump was out of sight) if you were
> even stopped.  Don't worry about the scanners - just put
> everything through.

> Driving: Well I average around 14000 miles a year, mostly
> short trips 930 - 60 mins)but occasional long ones
> (yesterdays trip to present a paper in Great Yarmouth was a
> 400 mile round trip and took 6.5 hours.  I was only actually
> in GY for 1.5 hours!)  I have never had a hypo whilst driving
> (19 years) but I am not complacent.  For me long distance
> travel is stressful, whther by train, plane or car and
> therefore for me my BG's rise.  I always test my BGM before
> driving and eat one or two sweets every hour.  This usually
> means by BG is more than 10 by the time I get back but better
> safe than sorry.  I resent having a 3 yr licence and I resent
> being told what I can and can't drive.  My insurance company
> believes me to be a low risk - why can't the government?
Well said!

Tony O'Sullivan