Re: [IPk] driving

One of the riskiest times of hypo unawareness in my experience (and
also confirmed in the literature) is during the next up to 24 hours
after a previous hypo.

I would suggest adding to the list of how to prevent hypos while
driving some recommendation about doing extra blood glucose checks
before/during driving during the first 24 hours after a previous
significant hypo.

For me although they are not infrequent, hypos on the pump have been
thankfully much much milder than on MDI and in general easily
recognizable, but occasionally I can be suprised by one.  Last week at
work they were repainting the door frames etc in the corridor where my
office is.  I started to feel very nauseous, and being totally
convinced that the smell of the paint was making me feel sick, I got up
and went for a short walk outside, it was only when I got back 10
minutes later that I suddenly thought of checking my blood sugar -
fortunate that I was not driving at the time of this little episode.
Nausea is rarely the first sign of hypo for me, but sometimes it is
after a recent previous hypo has dampened the usual early warning

It demonstrated to me yet again one of the most maddening things about
diabetes - that the times when you have to think most clearly and
logically and take immediate appropriate action, are exactly when you
are least physically capable of doing so (either hypo or

Drive safely.

Do You Yahoo!?