Re: [IPk] driving

> I'm sorry if I overlooked the threefold (or whatever) increase in
> the risk of hypoglycaemia in intensively controlled patients in the
> DCCT.

See the following, it's not necessarily true for pumpers:
email @ redacted

title%5D %28diabe tes%2C%29%5Bcontribs%5D%28diabetes%2C%29">Pediatric
News Online</A> Severe hypoglycemia quelled Benefits Seen With Switch
to Pump From Insulin Injections

DENVER b6 A switch to insulin pump therapy is highly beneficial in
patients with type 1 diabetes who experience severe hypoglycemia on
multiple daily insulin injections, Leigh Siegel reported at the annual
meeting of the Endocrine Society.

Within a few weeks of switching to continuous subcutaneous insulin
infusion via the pump, these patients experience a marked reduction in
hypoglycemia. Their blood glucose control, which was typically good on
multiple daily injection therapy, becomes even better on the insulin
pump, according to Ms. Siegel, a nurse practitioner at Columbia
University, New York.

She reported on 20 patients with type 1 diabetes, including several
children as young as age 5, who were switched to insulin pump therapy
because they were experiencing two to four episodes of hypoglycemia
per week on multiple daily insulin injections despite having undergone
intensive diabetes education.

Pump therapy utilizes only low doses of short-acting insulin, so its
pharmacokinetics are more predictable than those of the long-acting
insulin employed in multiple daily injection regimens, she said.