Re: [IPk] driving

>I'm sorry if I overlooked the threefold (or whatever) increase in the risk
>of hypoglycaemia in intensively controlled patients in the DCCT.

But don't forget this was DCCT, and this was America.

Similar research in Germany established that intensified insulin therapy
combined with intensified patient training (week long residential courses
etc) resulted in no increase in hypos. But this research has not been
promoted so vigorously - perhaps because it was published in German? What
it shows is that tightening your control does not have to result in more
hypos. You just have to be better trained - which seems logical.

And it also demonstrates the danger of assuming that what works in the
traditions and healthcare system of one country doesn't necessarily work
the same way in all other countries.

mailto:email @ redacted