Re: [IPk] driving

This is such an involved area when we start to look at it, and I think we
should. I'd be surprised that anyone has actually been banned, also from
your mail Abigail it seems you are suggesting those who are not taking good
care of themselves should remove themselves from the driving seat; sadly,
they are less of a danger than us, in that the DCCT showed trying to get
good control led to several times more severe hypos!!

A study is quite possible, ambulance services check glucose with portable
meters, so do BASICS doctors.

If there are things we should all do, they are these:

Certainly check glucose at least within an hour of any trip
Keep a meter in the car, and check anytime during a trip if unsure
Don't drive below 4.5
Keep lucozade or your favourite tipple! in the car at ALL times
Develop an aggressive policy with yourself. ie if I might be hypo, I'll stop
the car, switch off the engine, take keys out and do a test. Sitting there
with the engine running is temptation to get going again too soon!
Stick a notice on the dashboard, AND carry a card stating your diabetes and
'if in an accident, think hypoglycaemia'. What looks like a very visible
card in your ashtray, isn't so visible when the car is upside down on a dark
road in the rain.

Finally, I  nearly always eat sweeties during a long drive, slowly and
well-spaced, but my glucose often ends up at 11 or so by journey's end, but
what the hell, at least i got there!!

Any other suggestions?

Tony O'S