RE: Driving licences was [IPk] hospitals, sliding scales etc

In my experience, where, what and how you are allowed to drive is one of
the most powerful symbols of national identity :-) Some societies regard
driving as a right, others as privilege.

My 3-year UK licence (clean, no severe daytime hypos) expired 2 years ago,
but because I was then (and am still) resident in Germany, DVLA in Swansea
were unable to issue me with a replacement. This alarmed me as I had
visions of having to take a German driving test... In fact that wasn't
necessary, but the form filling and paper chasing took 6 months to
complete, and my UK licence had in fact expired before I got the
replacement German one.

What is interesting is that my new German licence has no expiry date on it.
If I become unfit to drive (lose hypo awareness or eyesight goes etc) it is
my responsibility to give up my licence. There is a logic there as it is
statistically most likely to be myself that I kill.

mailto:email @ redacted