RE: Driving licences was [IPk] hospitals, sliding scales etc

Hi Tony

Carmel made a good point, renewal every 3 yrs is the maximum
but it can be less.  You declare your fitness and have to
list any severe hypos. If you declare anything (and sometimes
even if you don't) your consultant is contacted for their
opinion.  In the UK we are also restricted as to the the
vehicles we can dive (no minibuses over a certain number of
seats etc).  This is an EEC ruling I believe.  I fell foul of
this last year when I went to Menorca with my family and my
parents and we had to get a minibus (no people carriers).  I
was not covered to drive because it had too many seats (even
though I only had 6 passengers!).  I had a clean drivers
licence (OK cleanish - one speeding ticket) and have never
had an accident in 18 years of driving but I could not drive
the minibus.  My mother, who is 70 and averages a couple of
minor accidents a year (parking usually), would have been
fine.  My husband did all the driving fortunately as my
mother was too nervous!

Bev

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist