RE: [IPk] exercise

Fitness was mentioned as one factor which may determine BG
response to
> exercise. I find now that I need less CHO before swimming
> than during my
> first few months on the pump, and I have been trying to
> more often. In
> fact if I swim first thing ,am. I can disconnect and not
> at all and BG
> tends to rise by about 1 mmol . I don't know whether any
one else has
> experienced this as they become more accustomed to
exercise. The other
> possible cause may be that my basal insulin is higher in
> morning so a
> disconnection may have more effect, but surely this
> make a great
> deal of difference as I disconnect for an hour at most. I
> don't tend to
> exercise in the evening (too tired) when basals are higher

Hi Abigail

I understood (but might be wrong) that the fact that you need
less CHO may mean that either that you are 1. less fit
(clearly not the case), 2. Putting the body under more stress
for another reason ie (you are tired, swimming further or
faster etc).

I need to to have my pump connected all the time when I run
and my normal basals (if not higher!).  My BG's almost always
rise (sometimes rise a lot) and I notice this when I run
uphill a lot or run a faster time than normal or run in the
summer when it is very hot.  The theory is that the more you
run uphill, or in hot weather etc, the fitter you will get
and the less your BG will rise.  However I find that in
practice this doesn't work because you simply run a little
faster uphill as you get fitter and the cycle begins again.
This may be what is happening with you.  Yes you are getting
fitter (and therefore you BG's should start to fall during
exercise  - more CHO required) but the fact that you are
fitter means that you are pushing yourself harder and
therefore in fact the reverse happens.

Does this make sense to anyone but me I wonder?

It is just a question of finding out what works for you and
sticking with it I think.

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader