Re: [IPk] hospitals, sliding scales etc

> I think that in the absence of loss of consciousness( including due to
> anaesthaesia), cognitive impairment or severe illness resulting in DKA, it
> is totally unacceptable for anyone with DM to not be allowed total
> if they are well motivated and usually run their diabetes successfully. If
> hospitalisation is not a direct result of diabetes ( ie DKA, whether due
> self neglect or severe infection or other circumstances) then surely
> staff, who do not have to suffer the consequences of hypo or
> should not be allowed to sabotage  a person's well being by forcing them
> off a pump and back on to injections, especially if they had a dreadful
> on the latter.
> If someone was to experience a severe hypo in hospital and this did not
> happen at home, due to hospitals meddling with that persons condition,
> this result inproblems with the DVLA for that person?
> I'm not sure that anyone could legally refuse to allow someone to continue
> on the pump. If it resulted in wrestling with someone to get the pum,p off
> them and forcing them to have an injection (physically) and the person was
> not mentally compromised this would surely constitute assault.

Quite true, Abigail. The bottom line is that the preferred method of control
during a stay in hospital should be by negotiation and agreement, not
coercion by hospital staff.

I don't think the DVLC have anything to say about hypos, particularly in
hospital where we certainly won't be doing any driving, unless of course
your hospitals in the UK are really that much bigger than ours!!

Tony O'Sullivan