RE: [IPk] Glycaemic index ( previously Desert Foods)

> I must make an exception to what has recently been said
> eating foods
> with a low glycaemic index (fast carbohydrate absorbing
> foods). For me, I can
> keep excellent blood sugar control by eating foods with a
> high glycaemic

You raise a good point but you are probably in the minority
in the way that Humalog works for you.  I can eat a chocolate
bar (and often do) purely as a snack when I feel like it and
as long as I give the Humalog at the same time I see no rise
in blood sugar 30 mins later.  It works very fast for me
except when my BGM is very high (more than 15) when it may
take a couple of hours to return to normal once the humalog
is administered.

I am sorry but I strongly disagree with the suggestion that
> low glycaemic
> index foods are of more use for people with type 2, or for
> people with either
> type 1 or 2 who do not use the very fast insulins. I think
> that all people,
> with or without diabetes, can benefit by eating high
> glycaemic index foods.

It is a question of knowing what works for you.  I use a
square bolus for high glycemic index foods when I have to eat
them but find it easier to just avoid them when I am able to.
You would be very wrong to recommend your approach to all
diabetics.  I think most pump users on Humalog would not
benefit at all from high glycaemic index foods.  It is
important to stress that people react differently to all
insulins and it is your reaction that governs what it is best
for you to eat.

Beverley Smith
Principal Development Geologist
SNS Team Leader