Re: [IPk] Re: Vickie with a son who is 8!!

Vickie

Will you being having a diabetic nurse from Disetronic
help you through the first weeks of having the pump -
if so, I would take all the help that she/he offers in
terms of phone calls and visits.
We learnt such a lot from Susan, one of the Minimed
nurses and she helped us through a lot of the difficulties -
just knowing she was on the end of the phone was
such a help.

The pump is surprisingly different from injections -
have you read anything about it -
there is a very good book which I got from the
States -  it is called "Pumping Insulin" by John Walsh
and Ruth Roberts - I got it from Amazon on the web.
That will give you a lot of information and is somewhere
to turn to answer questions too.

The funding is something which is ongoing -
to our great surprise our consultant said he would
pursue this on our behalf - which, considering he was
dead set against it in February is something of
a miracle!  However, I would suggest you contact
John Davis at Input - he often writes replies on this site -
but he seems to know who has got funding where
and how and so on.  His email address is
email @ redacted

What we did is wait until we had the first HbA1c
blood test result to show that control was improved
before we made our first approach.

If your son is willing to work with you -
then I think it will all work out OK -
you have already shown that you are willing
to put in the effort by pursuing the whole
pump question.  THe first month was hard
work - getting up in the night to measure
sugar levels in order to get feedback on
whether the basal rates were OK or not...
a fairly steep learning curve which has now
eased off - although we still have a lot to learn.

I wish you all the best -

Jennifer