[IPk] Comment on emergency cases.

>From: John Neale <email @ redacted>
>To: email @ redacted
>Subject: Re: [IPk] Re: Medic Alert, emergency medical contact
>Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 18:10:57 +0100
> >Home is California, and there I subscribe to a USA nationwide
> >service called Medic Alert.  I register all my vital medical and doctor's
> >Is there a service like this in the UK.?  IF so, I would like to join it,
> >and if there are more than one, comments on which seems to
> >be the best?
>Wayne - MedicAlert is an international organisation as far as I am aware.
>They advertise heavily in the UK. I even registered with them once :-) So
>you can rest assured that your medical id is recognised here.
>Why I no longer wear my elegant bracelet is another matter... I've come in
>for much criticism for this and have searched my heart on a number of
>occasions. Ultimately it is a personal decision for each of us to make,
>based on a number of factors like how often you collapsed unexpectedly due
>to hypoglycemia (I've never done so in 23 years). I accept that wearing
>medical id might just one day save my life, but then it might also be a
>waste of time. The fact I am permanently attached to a device that has
>"insulin pump" inscribed on it, along with MiniMed's phone number goes some
>way to dupilcating the function of a medical id tag - in fact it's better
>in some ways as my pump contains my very latest basal rates and typical
>meal boluses in memory.
>Someone once suggested if I wanted to be reckless with my own safety, that
>was my own business, but once I had dependents and loved ones, I would see
>my own role in a more responsible way. Well, my son is now 9 months old and
>I've not noticed any change in attitude yet...

I do agree with the argument that the insulin pump is the best diabetic
identification. I used to get a medical pass in Germany which stated in
English that I was a diabetic. Many Germans even don't speak  this language
first of all.  Wearing this thing in my wallet, I don't think it was very
useful. When you are lying unconcious on the floor in a pub, everybody
thinks you've had too much pints anyway. Nobody would look into your wallet.
Well yes, some guys might nick it and do it later on but that's about it.
Even the ambulance just looks at your ID in Germany. If none of your friends
know about your diabetes as you haven't told them you'll have a problem. I
haven't got an answer to what to do apart from telling your friends about d.
But I know from experience how difficult it sometimes  is for a diabetic to
unvail the disease. I haven't been unconcious for some years but not with my
pump I think the chance of discovering it in such a case is quite high.
Interpreting it the right way is up to the individual who finds you.