[IPk] A new subject.

Hi Julitte.

I was wondering if there are any diabetes groupes meeting in London?
I've lived there now some time and haven't physically met any diabetic
yet.Since September I got my disetronic pump. It's been working quite well
so far. The only problem I have is to evaluate the amount of food I eat
appropriately. I used to have a scale ages ago. I don't realy know what a
modern diabetic does? Most of my German diabetic frinds just guess. Is it
more common to use tables. If yes, where from. I mean, my German doctor gave
me a table of how much energie is contained in  certain MC Donald's burgers.
As I became Vegetarian (apart from fish)
in this country I don't want to eat Vegi-burgers every day. The food quality
of MC Donald's is not my standard anyway. I rather prefer to self made rice
and vegetable curry every day in this country. But how do you evaluate rice?
In Germany we calculate in BE's (meaning Broteinheiten) so, for each BE I
pump a certain amount of insulin. Anyway it's the same anywhere I guess. So
I just use the thumb rule being 4 BE's per "normal" full plate of rice then
injecting the coresponding amount of insulin. I think it's very inconvenient
to pull out an BE-tabel when you've got a nice romantic dinner with a
goodlooking girl.  My doctor always tries to change the amount of insulin
injected for the amount of energy taken in. But I had these factors for
years and I've still got the suger level to high every now and then (events
like parties with alcohol, girl over, or equivalent factors excluded.)
Concerning proteins, is it really necessary to raise your amount of insulin
when taking them in? And if so, by how much. As far as I'm concerned, I have
never done it and I think that just a plausible reason could convince me
doing it.
Anyway, taking part in this discussion group is all right but in order to
get used to the English technical diabetes jargon, it requires some time.
I've seriously never takled to anybody IN ENGLISH about diabetes. But I hope
you could even understand some German diabetes English.