Re: [IPk] Re: Medic Alert, emergency medical contact

>Home is California, and there I subscribe to a USA nationwide
>service called Medic Alert.  I register all my vital medical and doctor's
>Is there a service like this in the UK.?  IF so, I would like to join it,
>and if there are more than one, comments on which seems to
>be the best?

Wayne - MedicAlert is an international organisation as far as I am aware.
They advertise heavily in the UK. I even registered with them once :-) So
you can rest assured that your medical id is recognised here.

Why I no longer wear my elegant bracelet is another matter... I've come in
for much criticism for this and have searched my heart on a number of
occasions. Ultimately it is a personal decision for each of us to make,
based on a number of factors like how often you collapsed unexpectedly due
to hypoglycemia (I've never done so in 23 years). I accept that wearing
medical id might just one day save my life, but then it might also be a
waste of time. The fact I am permanently attached to a device that has
"insulin pump" inscribed on it, along with MiniMed's phone number goes some
way to dupilcating the function of a medical id tag - in fact it's better
in some ways as my pump contains my very latest basal rates and typical
meal boluses in memory.

Someone once suggested if I wanted to be reckless with my own safety, that
was my own business, but once I had dependents and loved ones, I would see
my own role in a more responsible way. Well, my son is now 9 months old and
I've not noticed any change in attitude yet...

mailto:email @ redacted