RE: [IPk] re: Carbohydrate...

When protein enters the small intestine, it is broken down into the
smaller moleculesof amino acids (our body building blocks..). The amino
acids are absorbed into the blood stream and head for the liver where
some are converted into glucose. This process takes place slowly  (a few
hours) and is not a major contributor of blood glucose. Some of these
amino acids are used to make other proteins.
You may find benefit from split bolus or slight increase in basal rate
if consistently this happens after these meals. ALternatively you could
try square-wave/extended bolus on your pump.
If you are eating a large (8-12oz) steak, for example, you may need to,
if you are only having a small palm-sized protein portion, you probably
won't need to worry. For each 1 oz weight of protein food..you may count
as 1/3 carbohydrate ratio. BUT I stress it would be best done the way as
listed above, not necessarily a straight out bolus due to slowed
digestion of this nutrient. Plus you will find you won't need to worry
too much if you are having general healthy eating portions.
Jules :)
Diabetes Research Dietitian
Bournemouth