[IPk] Re: which pump, and covering protein with insulin, and UK question

It makes sense to cover protein with some insulin, because the
breakdown products of protein include glucose.  In my experience,
protein mostly gets digested more slowly than many carbs, hence the
late highs which sometimes follow meals which are high in protein, if
you do not increase insulin dose accordingly.

About low carb diets, like Atkins, Bernstein etc - seems to me they may
be more suitable for type 2 than for type 1 diabetics.  As type 1,
using fast acting insulin, one should be able to deal with almost any
carbohydrates (at least in moderation!).
In my one personal experiment with a low carb diet (actually brought
about because I forgot to bring extra insulin on a trip away from home,
and figured I could last out if I ate low carb), I found that although
my blood sugars were fairly good and fairly stable, it meant that if I
ever lapsed and ate more carbs, my body was much more sensitive to the
carbs, response to carbs became unpredictable, and blood sugar would go
shooting up.  Since I felt that a rigid low carb diet was not really
compatible with my normal life - family, work, socializing, eating out
etc, I decided to aim for some middle road rather than very low carb a
la Atkins with any minor carb lapse being catastrophic for me.  YMMV.

I use a Disetronic pump - when I was deciding, 2 years ago, the
deciding factors for me were 1) Disetronic is waterproof, 2) the basal
rate is delivered in smaller more frequent dribbles, hence in the event
that one needs to reduce the basal rate if hypo during unscheduled
physical activity, one can get more immediate effect, and 3) a very
local but practical and important reason - the Disetronic rep here at
that time was clearly much better informed and more effective than the
Minimed rep, so that I felt that in practical terms I would get
excellent help and support from him, and this has indeed been the case.

Now a question - I will be in the UK (London and Cambridge) for a short
visit in 2 weeks time for a family wedding - I hope I will have no pump
problems, but just in case, could anyone give me a phone number to call
for assistance from Disetronic?

Thanks very much

Do You Yahoo!?