[IPk] Carbohydrates - good or bad?

I have been reading excerpts from a book called
Diabetes Solution by Richard Bernstein.
There are several books now that promote
a low carbohydrate, higher protein diet -
and this is one specifically for diabetics.
Has anyone read this -
I'd be interested to know what peoples experience
of lowering their carbohydrate levels is?
The idea, so it says, is to reduce the ups and
downs of sugar levels - which happens even
on a pump - though much less than on injections.