Re: [IPk] doctors

No, really, I'd rather have effectiveness than empathy.  Think of it
like this: would you rather have a dr who lowered your hb1c, because it
helped to meet his personal achievement target for the year, or one who
knew how bad you will feel when you get a complication?  Would you
rather have a dr who got you the funding for a pump, because it looked
good on his CV that he was a good fund-raiser, or one who knew how bad
you feel when your work is interrupted by yet another hypo?

Of course, given the choice of a dr who is motivated by empathy, and an
equally competent dr who is motivated by greed, or pride, or something
else, of course I'd choose the empathetic one!  But most of us don't
have that luxury!

Best wishes to all,
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)