Re: [IPk] doctors

In message <email @ redacted>, Stephen Phillips <stephen.ph
email @ redacted> writes
>This is a sad but all to common indictment.
>I admit to having worked as a CNS in diabetes and being type 1, however, I
>kept my professional role & personal life separate, as it also isn't always
>that helpful to have professionals commenting on their personal experiences
>either. I do agree though an 'inside knowledge' is both a very useful and
>empathic tool if used appropriately. Health Professionals do on the whole
>try to be as empathic as possible, however there will always be experiences
>of the 'judgemental and stigmatising type' which we all hope are in the

There is only one way I can think of that 'inside knowledge' could be a
problem for a patient: if the professional is one of those who believes
that because something works for them, it should work for everyone. Now,
we have all met dozens of doctors who believe that because something
works for some of their patients, it should work for all of them.  Some
seem to believe something should work for all their patients on the
basis that it should work, which is even less evidence!  So don't worry
about imposing upon a patient!

As a historian, I think empathy is overrated. As a patient, I don't want
empathy very often!  I appreciated it from operating theatre nurses
(I've now had three conscious operations, and having someone empathetic
holding your hand's very nice!).  But in the day-to-day struggle with
diabetes, I don't need that kind of support.  Diabetes isn't my-life-in-
your-hands.  It's my-life-in-my-hands, and I need a co-worker, a team-
player, not a empathetic, but ineffectual person who believes they are
in charge.

Best wishes to all,
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)