Re: [IPk] Re: ip-uk-digest V1 #364

In message <email @ redacted>, Ian Curd
<email @ redacted> writes
>Can anyone advise, as I am loosing patience.
>I cannot seem to get my dosing right for current
>Insulatard in the evenings.
>I have 3 shots of actrapid before meals during the
>day, and at 11pm take Insulatard. If I increase the
>dose it does not work, but lowers my BM noticably at
>10am the next day.
>I.E. last night I had a BM of 7.9 at 12:00 midnight. I
>woke at 3:00am with a BM of 7.4 and woke at 7:30am to
>find a BM of 15.
>Any ideas?

I hate Insulatard, it's the most unpredictable of the long-acting
insulins, IMHO!  I found Monotard much more predictable.

One idea: if it peaks at 10am, and you need it to peak at  4am or 5am,
then you need to inject it four or five hours earlier, at 5pm or 6pm
rather than 11pm.

Another idea: when you measured your bg at 3am, was that as a result of
a planned measurement (i.e. an alarm clock woke you up), or did you just
wake up and take the opportunity?  If the latter, then I wonder if you
went hypo a little before you woke, measured yourself early on the
rebound, went back to sleep, and woke at the top of the rebound?  If
this is the case, then I'd look at what was happening at 1am, 1.30, 2
and 2.30.

Best wishes,

(to be on a pump 'very soon', according to her doctor (July, 2000)), in
the meantime basal: M + 2 H, bolus H).
Pat Reynolds
   (T. Pratchett)