Re: [IPk] refilling the cannula

> >The thing is, it all works perfectly when i dance, because I don't
> >disconnect the pump (though sometimes I run it on 0.1). Which is why I
> >think it is the cannula problem. But since I'm going to be running on
> >no insulin anyway, it's easier to disconnect it than deal with having
> >it attached when I'm exercising.

> Di, who's Jack?! Do you mean Simon? :-)
oops, sorry, yes I did!
> Have I understood this right? You're using a Tender/Silhouette. You're
> wondering if the Humalog in the inch catheter (0.6 units?) empties itself
> into your body whilst you're disconnected and exercising?

yes. >
> My first thought is how can the Humalog get out? It has to be replaced with
> something, unless the tubing collapses entirely. Since the rubber stopper
> is self-sealing, you can't get any air in. So the Humalogwould just sit
> there. On the other hand, the Humalog could mix with bodily fluid under the
> skin (interstitial fluid, blood etc), so the Humalog could conceivably seep
> out as it mixes. I'm guessing here. Also, since Humalog is attracted to fat
> - that's why it gets absorbed so quickly - the process could be somewhat
> faster than expected...
> So, possibly - dunno really!

Yes, I suppose it shouldn't be able to get out, but if you're doing a
lot of exercise, all kinds of weird and wonderful things can happen
I guess you're right in principle though, that it shouldn't be able to
get out.
Guess it's just back to more experimenting. At least I've sorted out
how to keep my Bg stable for dancing and swimming. Now it's just the
aerobics and gym sessions that get me....I'm always scared to whack in
a whole bunch of insulin immediately after exercising in case my body
decides it didn't need any extra insulin after all! it's happened
before with somewhat dire consequences.