Re: [IPk] refilling the cannula

> Why do you switch the pump off? The body needs some insulin at all times.

Not so, Jack. Some people may do. If I'm doing a lot of exercise I
don't necessarily need any insulin during that time. During heavy
exercise I have gone without any insulin for up to 4 hours with
perfect BGs (and perfect ones afterwards too).

And just how do you propose I go swimming with a Minimed pump attached
(which isn't waterproof)?

> you have a problem with your blood sugar continuing to fall  during
> exercise, it is because you did not reduce the pump rate and/or take
> additional CHO early enough before you started, and the residual insulin in
> the blood is excessive for the period of exertion.

jack, Humalog works very fast for me (5 minutes). If I started
taking in insulin at the beginning of the exercise period, (even after
reducing it beforehand) I would be
hypo within 10 minutes. I can actually treat a hypo within 15 minutes just
by switching off the pump (not that I do this except in dire
emergencies, but it does work).

I have even tried your technique before a dance class (which is not so
energetic as swimming etc.) and it m,ost defionitely doesn't work - I
go hypo within 15 minutes despite having a starting BG of up to 10

> This situation will of course be marginally alleviated by switching the pump
> off completely for exercise, depending on the duration, but such a move will
> naturally lead to you experiencing insulin deficiency afterwards, because of
> that time window of no insulin delivery: even Humalog (delivered
> sub-cutaneously) takes time to be metabolised, it's not like switching a
> light on and off.
Like I said, for me it starts working within 5 minutes. So it is
almost like a light.
But also, I take a 0.5-1 unit bolus after the exercise to make up for
the amount I've missed.

The thing is, it all works perfectly when i dance, because I don't
disconnect the pump (though sometimes I run it on 0.1). Which is why I
think it is the cannula problem. But since I'm going to be running on
no insulin anyway, it's easier to disconnect it than deal with having
it attached when I'm exercising.
I guess the solution is to keep the pump attached (but running on,
say, 0.1) for an aerobics
class and see what happens to my BG. Given that that is nearly 1/10th
of my normal basal rate, it won't make that much difference to my Bg
over an hour (compared with disconnecting) and if my BG remains normal
afterwards, then I will assume that it is the cannula thing.