Re: [IPk] Into the blood

>In the light of experience, including that I like to bathe every day, I now
>use just two strips of Micropore and change the site every day. Any longer
>and I get a scar, and any more dressing and I get the beginnings of a skin
>reaction (this minimal dressing can still hold the weight of the pump
>falling out of my shirt pocket, so there is no problem in that regard).

I find on my skin that the basic adhesive pad that comes with the Rapids
will hold absolutely firm without any additional need for tape - which is
something of a relief. And my diabetes nurse (Frau Hrudy, also pump user)
tells me that the glue used with the Rapids has been changed recently, and
is no longer so allergenic. Again, good news for sensitive-skinned me (and

I've also started on a new insulin today - NovoRapid. Much like Humalog in
its action, but made my (you've guessed!) Novo. I'm changing to see if it
gives me more site stability, and reduces the red "point" that lingers for
a week or two after I remove an infusion set.

I've been given 3ml PenFill cartridges. I stick a needle through the rubber
plunger, and then draw the insulin out from the other end, like from a
bottle, but with the replacement air coming through the needle in the
plunger, if you follow. It works very nicely. So one PenFill cartridge
fills the pump, and I then chuck the thing out. And since there is no air
in the PenFill cartridge to begin with, there should be less air coming out
of solution when it enters the pump cartridge.

>I have been intrigued by the comments about the rapid degradation of the
>infusion sets and the problems of bad injection sites. Has there been any
>reaction from the manufacturers on this and by the way, what happens to the
>insulin injected into a bad site? Why doesn't it have its expected metabolic

Not sure sure what you are referring to... but there has been some
speculation that insulin infused or injected into a bruise could become
isolated by the same physiological process that isolates the blood in the
bruise. This then gets broken down and carted off. So it's possible the
insulin won't enter the blood stream as active insulin.

mailto:email @ redacted