Re: [IPk] Into the blood

I use the Basic catheters with 27G 16mm needles and have done for four years
now, except for a short spell with the Tenders.

When I started with the pump I followed the hospital advice of leaving the
needle in-place for at least two days, and securing it with a bulky dressing
of three strips of Micropore, a large porous plaster on top and then a loop
and a further strip of Micropore to finish off. The idea was to change the
set and start again every two-three days.

In the light of experience, including that I like to bathe every day, I now
use just two strips of Micropore and change the site every day. Any longer
and I get a scar, and any more dressing and I get the beginnings of a skin
reaction (this minimal dressing can still hold the weight of the pump
falling out of my shirt pocket, so there is no problem in that regard).
The Tenders did not suit as I think site-changing, and purging of the last
bit of the catheter is important - perhaps this is just old-fashioned - I
can remember the routine with a glass syringe and blunt reuseable needles!
With this arrangement however I only change the catheter when replacing the
cartridge, so it lasts 7-8 days.

I have been intrigued by the comments about the rapid degradation of the
infusion sets and the problems of bad injection sites. Has there been any
reaction from the manufacturers on this and by the way, what happens to the
insulin injected into a bad site? Why doesn't it have its expected metabolic