Re: [IPk] How vulnerable are we?

 Di, I'm so relieved that your mother is going into a Care home from tomorrow.
That will ease some of the pressure on you too, although as we know it just
seems to change. Keep up your activities one and all.

 One totally unrelated query: when birds have the entire area to roam in, why
does a pair of blackbirds come and sit on the back of the balcony railing
outside my living room window - naturally directly opposite from where I sit -
feed from my hanging feeder, then return to the balcony rail and look out over
my garden before doing you know what!

Rhoda

<email @ redacted> wrote:

> Thatbs the spirit!
> My stepmother, who is 80 and has secondary liver cancer, has decided to stop
 > having chemo (she was due for her 3rd round when the lockdown started).
Shebs
> far from bed-ridden and enjoys getting out for walks, gardening, and driving
 > around visiting people and places. She decided exactly that she wanted to
live
> rather than stay alive, and I agree with her. Unlike - sadly - my 79-year old
> mother, who has very challenging age-related mental health issues (including
 > extreme paranoia and more recently, hallucinations) and does not want to live
or
> stay alive! Webve finally managed to get her into a care home from tomorrow.
> Neither have diabetes incidentally.
>
> Everyone has different priorities. But seeing my Mum go through the last few
> months, I definitely want to die living rather than end up in her situation
> which is really quite horrific. She always said that too, but we canbt just
> kill her now!
> Di
>
>> On 12 May 2020, at 11:39, Steve Boorman
> <email @ redacted> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, thank you Di, go for it! I am over 70 which undoubtedly increases the
>> risk (my partner works on immunology, and we don't understand why our
>> immune responses to covid are less effective with age), but jogging round
>> the common is essential. In the end, I am more interested in living than in
>> staying alive, but am restrained by social responsibilities. I have no
>> problem about managing my risk, but with viral infection, we have to manage
>> other people's risk.
>> Steve
>>
>> On Tue, 12 May 2020 at 09:03, Diana G Maynard <
>> email @ redacted> wrote:
>>
>>> well yes, none of us want to get it, and I encourage everyone to abide by
>>> government guidelines and keep away from others etc. But I donb t believe
>>> we are
>>> at higher risk than the rest of the population (if web re fit and healthy)
>>> so I
>>> meant simply that I wouldnb t be worried *because* we have diabetes, as
>>> many
>>> are. Most healthy people here are not shielding but just taking sensible