From: Nanette Freedman <email @ redacted>
Date: 29 May 2011 08:11
Subject: Re: [IPk] Israel trip
To: email @ redacted

Hi Iain,

I live in Jerusalem, work at Hadassah Hospital which is the large
university teaching hospital, have been using a pump since 1998 - was
offered one only months after diagnosis of DM. Most of the pump
companies have reps here. Considerably higher percentage of type 1
diabetics use pumps here than in the UK, so plenty of supplies and
expertise.
I haven't done digging or hosteling but have done plenty of desert
hikes and heat and dust with my pump - wouldn't contemplate doing such
things without the pump, and they don't seem to pose particular
problems, though when it first gets hot each year, I've always had a
day or two of very low BG's - but easier to control with pump than
without.
Please tell your friend she should feel free to email me and/or phone
when she comes. I've read about excavations at Tel Dor - sounds
interesting. And if your friend has climbed mountains previously, the
changes in altitude here are unlikely to be more challenging.
Nanette