Re: [IPk] RE: ip-uk-digest V4 #81

On 13/05/2011 21:19, Charkham wrote:
> Mark,
> Thanks so much for your thoughts on the pump.  I have just ordered the book
> you suggested through Amazon. I might well give you a ring after I have
> looked through the book which will hopefully arrive pretty soon. It's good
> to know that I am not unique with my difficulties,  I reckon even though my
> diabetic team reckoned I would be managing it within a couple of months, in
> the real world it's more like 6 months.  How many of you agree?
> Lynne Charkham

Hi Lynne
It really varies - some people feel like they've mastered it in a couple
of weeks, some take a year or more! It depends what you mean by
"managing it" also. If you mean that you've reached a point where your
basals and boluses are all set up right and you know what you're doing,
again, this really varies with the individual. If you just mean that you
feel comfortable making changes and have no major problems, then this
should be more like a couple of months than 6 months,l but again,
everyone is different! I know people who felt brilliant from the first
morning they woke up on the pump and some who wanted to throw it out of
the window for the first year....
Personally I felt better within a couple of days, then went through some
problems a couple of weeks in, but within a month I was pretty much on
top of things.
Di