[Previous Months][Date Index][Thread Index][Join - Register][Login]   Help@Insulin-Pumpers.org
  [Message Prev][Message Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]   for subscribe/unsubscribe assistance
 
 

RE: [?? Probable Spam] Re: [IPk] In reply to exam stress management and other issues



Hi Nanette
Yes, I agree. I must stress that I can't by any stretch of imagination be
called 'retired'. I often look after 5 grandchildren under 5 and a half
icluding baby twins (I challenge anyone to call this a cushy number) am
pursuing a writing career, as you know, run workshops and am involved in
patient safety and hospital committees and many other things. So whilst
being short of money, my working conditions have improved.
In a more general sense, perhaps you are not aware of the poor working
conditions in the UK. I believe in kindness absolutely but this is not
enough because there are many in our economic situation who will exploit
that.
All best
Christine  

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On Behalf
Of Nanette Freedman
Sent: 05 May 2011 11:58
To: email @ redacted
Subject: Re: [?? Probable Spam] Re: [IPk] In reply to exam stress management
and other issues

Hi Christine,

Firstly I agree with you totally that it is a pity that type 1 and type 2
are both called diabetes - it is a source of endless confusion and worse
(including serious insulin overdose from ignorant medical
personnel) for many of us.

I think there are plenty of us on this list who work, whether out of
necessity or choice, in full time jobs that cannot by any stretch of the
imagination be described as a 'cushy number', as well as running a busy life
with friends, family, other activities etc. And I would imagine that those
who are parents of children with type 1 would wish the same for them. This
discussion started with Karen's concerns for her daughter when doing exams,
expressing what I understood to mean that she hopes that appropriate
management (as well as some special
concessions) would enable her daughter to fulfil her potential and enable
her eventually to be accepted into whatever academic and career path,
however demanding, she might choose - of course knowing full well that there
too she, like anyone with type 1 DM and a range of other longterm health
issues, will have to deal with these issues one way or another. And I would
contest your point about "you try to keep type 1 invisible" - why? certainly
you hope it is plain to everyone that type 1 does not prevent you from being
as contributing and productive a member of your work environment as anyone
else, but why waste time and energy on total concealment when you are hard
pressed anyway?

I think it is very sad that people should have to, as you evidently did, run
BG levels high for fear of embarrassing lows. I would hope that with a pump
one can generally preserve hypo awareness, always have glucose on hand, and
take it quickly to avoid the worst. But of course I too have had occasional
nasty hypos at the worst possible moments - some of these moments were at
times when I was at work, some when I was not. I haven't experienced work
pressures making things worse - on the contrary much of my worst control
occurs during unstructured inactive time at home - work activity actually
helps me retain control for the most part. In addition I would like to make
the wider point that embarrassing moments do not occur only to those with
type 1 diabetes - everyone can potentially find themselves in some ghastly
situation - I certainly can think of several that have occurred to me - only
one of them partially DM related, the others before I developed DM. Is this
a tendency to attribute every mishap and misadventure to type 1 DM? maybe
because I lived the first 48 years of my life without DM, but with plenty of
assorted happenings, I have much less tendency to do this. Furthermore - how
do you or any reasonable person relate to a colleague or friend who is for
some reason caught in an embarrassing situation not of their own making - in
any decent society, this should not bring them to sever their connection,
either professional, or friendly, with you, and it should not make it
impossible, even though one might temporarily feel that, to face people
afterwards. Many people can benefit from couselling after exposure to
traumatic events - and nasty hypo situations could essentially constitute
traumatic events.
In any case though, maybe one of the things type 1 DM or any exposure to
illness helps teach one is how to be more tolerant of irregular behaviour
and events both relating to oneself and other people. It would be a kinder
world if everyone learnt that, and for me it is that rather than over the
board concessions to those with health issues that is needed.

Nanette

On 5 May 2011 13:02, Christine Bousfield <email @ redacted> wrote:
> Well, Di, research has its pressures but most lecturers research, do 
> many hours lecturing, meetings, course management etc. They will kill 
> for a resarch sabbatical! I know that when you have to travel to 
> conferences all the time it is difficult and I don't know how you 
> manage alone without sight but I admit you are amazing-fitting in all 
> your exercise programmes and internet lists, too.
> However, the days when a full academic career was a cushy number are 
> over and our institution was very much micromanaged influenced by the 
> business model that permeates everything now and causes immense waste 
> and overwork for those working at the face, including in The NHS.
> I wouldn't complain for myself now but I was making a wider argument. 
> In our long hours' culture whether you work in a call centre or as a 
> nurse you  try to keep type 1 invisible by running blood sugars too 
> high to avoid potentially embarrassing lows. This has to happen, I 
> suppose, with a nurse or paramedic but they should have a decent 
> workload related to their needs so that they can obtain the best control
possible.
> The world at large knows practically nothing of Type 1-in the words of 
> our Personnel Manager 'diabetes is nothing. My Granddad's got it'!
> To pretend it is nothing yourself is frankly ridiculous, and 
> potentially lethal.
> Best
> Christine
> -----Original Message-----
> From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] On 
> Behalf Of Diana Maynard
> Sent: 03 May 2011 19:47
> To: email @ redacted
> Subject: [?? Probable Spam] Re: [IPk] In reply to exam stress 
> management and other issues
>
> Rebecca - did you intend to say something here?
>
> On the subject of the DDA, Christine, I'm interested to know what you 
> think your employer could have done to prevent you from having hypos 
> in front of classes? And what does reading large volumes of material 
> at night have to do with it? Or are you saying that you struggled at 
> night because your blood sugars were typically low or high at this 
> time of day? As an academic myself, I find it hard to understand what 
> needs you might have that a university could justifiably grant you in 
> this respect, since academics typically have a very free lifestyle 
> compared to most jobs (flexible timetables and schedules, very little 
> micro management, the ability to work from home, do flexi- and 
> part-time and so on). But maybe you were more restricted in your work. 
> Did you pursue any issues with the university as a result of them not 
> applying the DDA in your case? Maybe I'm lucky but of all the 
> universities I've been at
> (3 as a student and all 4 as an employee) I've never had such issues.
> I've had problems with blood sugar control, for sure, but never as a 
> result of any university policies or their treatment of me.
> Di
>
> On 03/05/2011 19:21, Rebecca wrote:
>> Ag
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>> On 1 May 2011, at 01:54, email @ redacted wrote:
>>
>>> Again karen i couldn't agree more and thanks for analysing the 
>>> issues so carefully I had an academic career before retiring and now 
>>> have several complications partly as a result of not having had 
>>> sufficient time or space to keep bss
>  > > perfect without collapsing with hypos in front of large classes 
> or struggling
>> to
>>> read large volumes of material at night With more consideration from 
>>> employers my life expectancy would be longer That is why the 
>>> disability discrimination act is so important and needs enforcing 
>>> The best of luck to you and your daughter Christine
> .
.
----------------------------------------------------------
for HELP or to subscribe/unsubscribe/change list versions,
contact: HELP@insulin-pumpers.org