RE: [?? Probable Spam] Re: [IPk] In reply to exam stress management and other issues

Well, Di, research has its pressures but most lecturers research, do many
hours lecturing, meetings, course management etc. They will kill for a
resarch sabbatical! I know that when you have to travel to conferences all
the time it is difficult and I don't know how you manage alone without sight
but I admit you are amazing-fitting in all your exercise programmes and
internet lists, too.
However, the days when a full academic career was a cushy number are over
and our institution was very much micromanaged influenced by the business
model that permeates everything now and causes immense waste and overwork
for those working at the face, including in The NHS.
I wouldn't complain for myself now but I was making a wider argument. In our
long hours' culture whether you work in a call centre or as a nurse you  try
to keep type 1 invisible by running blood sugars too high to avoid
potentially embarrassing lows. This has to happen, I suppose, with a nurse
or paramedic but they should have a decent workload related to their needs
so that they can obtain the best control possible.
The world at large knows practically nothing of Type 1-in the words of our
Personnel Manager 'diabetes is nothing. My Granddad's got it'!
To pretend it is nothing yourself is frankly ridiculous, and potentially
lethal.
Best
Christine